ART DIRECTOR, DESIGN AND UX
New York, NY or Ann Arbor, MI
Your days might include the following:
- Formalizing a creative framework for product design
- Developing an interface that reinforces the Artstor brand perspective
- Working alongside an engineer or technology architect to test and refine a new product feature
- Building a multi-channel design strategy playing out across direct email marketing, events, advertising and public-facing websites
- Working with a business-line managing director and marketing lead to introduce clarity and emotional connectedness to key products.
You must be a creative leader, able to explain how brand perception affects experience and embrace the emotional and visceral aspect of design. And in this role, you must lead by example. Design lives and dies through execution, and your close partnership with the development teams, in particular, will advance the culture of design at ITHAKA.
Reporting to the Director of User Experience and Design, you will operate in a matrixed environment. For example, you will work alongside designers and user experience specialists with direct accountability for supporting Artstor, while having engagement with various ITHAKA product teams.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
- Revise and guide a living brand experience for Artstor and its products, the Artstor Digital Library and its digital asset management system, Shared Shelf.
- Set the creative direction for a sustainable brand infrastructure that can support marketing, communications, and other outreach teams.
- Deliver a product design that can support evolution in the visual, tonal, and interactive aspects of Artstor’s new and existing products.
- Successfully integrate user experience and design into an iterative product development process that reveals user needs through experimentation and analysis.
- Facilitate and build a culture of design within ITHAKA through internal strategic initiatives, mentoring of designers and user experience professionals, and finding new forms of overlap between visual design, content development, technology, and experience.
- Lead, facilitate, and ensure the successful and timely completion of major projects requiring content creation, design, and execution for Artstor’s print and digital properties that support the goals and KPIs of our organization and product lines.
- Manage and ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- Superb creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success overseeing the design of engaging, useful, coherent products that thrill users and customers.
- Proven design and user experience contributor, conversant in sketching prototypes and crafting workflows.
- Able to mentor others in design, UI and interaction best practices.
- Ability to motivate and co-create with a design team distributed over multiple locations.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite and understanding of the web and print production process.
- Strong project management skills; demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Capable of working proactively with multiple departments to achieve results.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in design related positions, with experience in the not-for-profit, higher education sector a major plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a concentration in a design-related or product development field preferred.
- Working knowledge of the art, history, and library communities is desirable.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity employer.