MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES
New York, NY
Work Life and Culture
In addition to being a subject matter expert, you will anticipate new needs that will enrich and improve the work we do every day to fulfill our mission. In a typical day, you’ll put your top notch skills to the test as you help staff succeed in their roles. You will be an advocate and advisor for employee matters, drawing on your experience and industry best practices in ways that fit our organizational culture. You will appreciate the opportunities to celebrate successes large and small.
Our organization and this role are unique and will provide you with an opportunity few other places can offer including:
- A highly committed group of colleagues who are spirited and innovative;
- A team of colleagues who show up every day thinking about and working on ways to help their colleagues do great work;
- A mission to make a tangible difference to education around the world;
- A generous suite of benefits that are reflective of the value we place on our people.
Your colleagues are located in in Princeton, New York and Ann Arbor but the geography rarely interrupts our ability to be collaborative.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Everyone loves a great success story. Success in this role will be the direct result of your healthy team-oriented relationships, contribution to a set of strategies that support the organization’s framework for executing on goals and objectives, and your ability to operate in accordance with the dynamics of our organizational culture. On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Implement practices that will help us attract, retain and develop high quality candidates in our New York locations. Use your top social media skills and your networking abilities to help develop a pipeline for local talent.
- Working with our Talent Director, play a lead role in our New York onboarding efforts and help refresh our paradigm for orienting new employees.
- Work successfully as a member of the Work Life and Culture team and contribute positively to team goals and objectives. Demonstrate flexibility and jump in when work demands shift and change. Be generous and share your skills and abilities within the team.
- Engage proactively with staff with an eye toward eliminating obstacles to employee engagement and success. Maintain an open door policy and exercise good judgment and transparency when surfacing day-to-day concerns that interupt an employee’s positive work experience.
- Stay connected and anticipate employee relations issues that may disrupt the organizational culture. Use your professional instincts to know when and how to escalate issues while minimizing fallout.
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of each business unit to support talent needs.
- Contribute to plans for skill development and knowledge that will support our talent acquisition retention and development goals.
Challenges You’ll Overcome
We have recently established a strategic alliance with our colleagues at Artstor and are in the process of integrating technologies, tools, and cultures. The successful candidate has to be able to navigate through a period of change while staying focused on the high level goal of successfully integrating different organizational ethos.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- A solid 5 years experience in a human resources generalist role.
- A current understanding of talent management and a willingness to integrate these principles into your day to day practices.
- A proven track-record for building strong consultative relationships with managers to positively influence decision making.
- Ability to work independently and to research solutions on a broad array of HR disciplines and make sound, thoughtful recommendations on actions and policies.
- Technical proficiency including advanced knowledge of HRIS systems.
- A Bachelor's degree in HR, Business, or related field from an accredited college or university, SHRM certification is a plus.
- Collegial and approachable style that enables you to interact comfortably in all areas of the organization.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.