STRATEGIC BUSINESS MANAGER, ITHAKA S+R
New York, NY
This position reports to the Managing Director for Ithaka S+R. The primary responsibilities of the Strategic Business Manager will be:
- Develop and maintain budgets and financial statements for Ithaka S+R and its program areas
- Prepare project budgets and track expenditures
- Serve as primary liaison to the general counsel’s office for project agreements and other purposes, and lead contract negotiations with clients as needed
- Serve as primary liaison to the budget and finance offices
- Prepare bids and grant proposals, working closely with other team members
- Manage monthly invoicing and track accounts payable
- Contribute to long-term planning processes
- Support the creation of board reports and other periodic tracking documents and tools
- Track quarterly deliverables and progress towards annual goals
- Coordinate/support tools for outreach and sales
- Continue to develop Ithaka S+R by soliciting new business through RFP’s and other means
- Develop high-impact audience-specific reporting and communications mechanisms for individual projects and for the program area overall
- Ensure excellent communications with clients, advisory boards, and other project stakeholders
- Maintain awareness of major community issues that may impact on our projects
Challenges You’ll Overcome
The major challenge will be to manage a large number of projects, large and small, at the same time. In addition, a variety of people will be involved in each of these projects, requiring strong organizational communication skills.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- 3-5 years minimum experience in management consulting, internal strategy, assessment, or comparable roles.
- Bachelor’s degree with an excellent academic record; MA, MPA or MBA preferred.
- Demonstrated project coordinator experience, with evidence of excellent outcomes.
- Demonstrated supervisory/leadership experience.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments concurrently, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines, with acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills as well as the ability to translate data into accessible well-written reports and engaging presentations.
- Superior writing, proofreading, and interpersonal skills, including excellent telephone, e-mail, and conversation manner.
- Ability to work in our open, collaborative, team-oriented culture.
- Intellectual curiosity, especially with an interest in higher education, libraries, technology, scholarly publishing, and related fields.
- Experience developing client projects or funding applications (preferred).
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.