ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Experience Level: Associate to Mid-Senior
As a Software Engineer, UI Engineering at ITHAKA you will have opportunities few other companies can offer:
- Freedom to leverage the right tools and languages to solve problems, from Vue and TypeScript to Kubernetes and AWS.
- Rapidly develop and deploy software through an automated continuous delivery pipeline supporting over 200 production deployments a week.
- See the impact of your work as it’s put in front of millions of users.
When joining the development team at JSTOR, you can expect to receive tool and product training. We have an excellent onboarding program, which enables new engineers to become productive very quickly. A lead will work closely with you as you join your team. We will provide you with constant support to make you comfortable in your new environment. Those in leadership roles will work tirelessly to set you up for success.
The successful candidate will have experience with large-scale distributed web applications, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, excellent problem solving skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills. We look for candidates that possess a passion for continuous improvement and the ability to optimize code for clarity and reliability as well as performance.
ITHAKA developers will be expected to:
- Participate as an empowered member of a collaborative Agile team to design, develop and maintain high performance applications.
- Leverage continuous deployment and test automation tools in order to deploy application changes to production multiple times per day.
- Interact with internal and external customers to understand their needs and lead the development of web applications to meet those needs.
- Implement rich, interactive web applications using the latest technologies, frameworks, and patterns.
- Leverage web analytics to support Product Discovery and to measure project KPIs.
- Test, measure, and optimize performance using Application Performance Management tools.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent is preferred
- Proven experience writing server-side applications (Node.js frameworks, Python frameworks, or similar).
- Experience using browser-based web development tools to analyze and optimize UI performance.
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack or Grunt.
- Experience with Agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban.
- Willingness and ability to learn new approaches and emerging technology quickly.
- Familiar withity implementing a responsive design with UI frameworks like Foundation or Bootstrap.
- Familiarity with accessibility, usability, information architecture, and interaction design principles.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $90,000 – $140,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at email@example.com. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.