ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Role Level : Mid (3+ years)
ITHAKA is looking for a user experience professional with design, prototyping, and research skills who is comfortable using rapid iterations and discovery to make progress on problems with uncertain business models or markets (or both). The UX Designer will work on multiple new or emerging projects within JSTOR Labs and will be responsible for “full-stack user experience” on these iterative, exploratory, and start-up-like projects. The UX Designer will interview users to understand their needs, design and prototype potential solutions, and iterate through cycles of user feedback and design refinement.
In this role, you will play an exciting part in deciding ITHAKA’s long-term strategy to carry out its mission to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services—Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R— enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. You’ll team with product and business managers and engineers to work on features, services, products, and businesses in this space, both evaluating/optimizing the feasibility, desirability, and viability of new ideas and honing the user experience of incubating projects. Asa member of the JSTOR Labs team you will report to the Manager of Discovery and Research. You will interact with a variety of roles in JSTOR Labs, as well as researchers from User Insights and ITHAKA S + R and product and brand designers from JSTOR.
Your work might include the following:
- Creating a quick-turnaround explainer video (over the course of a few days).
- Writing blog posts to document our innovation processes and findings.
- Guerilla testing at a coffee shop or conference.
- Interpreting Google Analytics data on a prototype to synthesize insights.
- Exploring a potential area for a service or business, creating a plan to test and prototype iteratively, and then executing on that plan.
- Identifying, contacting, scheduling, and conducting interviews with experts in a subject area.
- Leading a 20-person structured brainstorming session with participants from inside and outside our team.
- Guiding a front-end engineer in how to translate your high fidelity prototype into a functional coded version that renders in multiple form-factors and meets or exceeds accessibility standards.
- Conceive and produce product concepts that distill myriad user needs and technical capabilities into a cohesive and compelling user experience.
- Create prototypes at a range of fidelities, from hand-drawn sketches to clickable websites, which are effective in communicating the product concept and validating design approaches.
- Lead the outreach to and discovery of target users, discovering and analyzing their context, needs, and goals, while understanding and communicating the personas and roles they play.
- Informed by this research, be the voice for the user needs in interactions with, PMs, engineers, and other partners, championing design practices and usability patterns.
- Design and conduct tests to validate various product hypotheses, using a broad range of methods (including in-depth interview, survey, prototype testing, usability, observational, A/B, card sort, click test, etc.).
- Using the product concept prototypes mentioned above and the research conducted with them, understand and communicate the potential value of the products and their place in ITHAKA’s strategy.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in an HCI-related field or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in product design, UX design, and/or user research.
- Experience creating prototypes at a variety of fidelities, including high fidelity UIs with Figma, Sketch, InVision, or other industry tools.
- A proven understanding of user centered design principles and user research techniques.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn and adopt, lean startup and design thinking methodologies.
- Strong project and time management skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Superb creative, communication, and interpersonal teamwork skills, able to motivate and co-create with teams distributed over multiple locations.
- Committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $85,000 – $100,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at email@example.com. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.