ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
ITHAKA’s Access Configuration team’s mission is to make it fast and easy for ITHAKA to create and manage product offerings to connect content providers with users. The team builds and supports applications that provide end-to-end control of content, metadata, and related processes for all of ITHAKA’s product lines.
As a full-stack software engineer at ITHAKA, you have an opportunity to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission. You will work on high-impact products that help put education within everyone’s reach.
- Freedom to leverage the right tools and languages to solve problems. Right now, we use technologies including: AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka, Java, and Github/Gitlab.
- Develop and deploy software through an automated continuous delivery pipeline supporting over 200 production deployments a week.
- See the impact of your work as it is put in front of millions of users.
- Contribute to open source! We give back to the community whenever we can.
- Participate as an empowered member of a collaborative Agile team to design, develop and maintain high performance applications.
- Leverage continuous deployment and test automation tools to deploy application changes to production multiple times per day.
- Interact with internal and external customers to understand their needs and drive the development of web applications to meet those needs.
- Implement rich, interactive web applications using the latest technologies, frameworks, and patterns.
- Leverage web analytics to support Product Discovery and to measure project KPIs.
- Test, measure, and optimize performance using Application Performance Management tools.
Experience and Skills
- Enjoy and have at least 5 years of experience as a full-stack software engineer building large-scale, distributed web applications. Experience with cloud infrastructure – and AWS in particular – is a plus.
- Experience with REST API framework.
- Experience with Github/Gitlab, Maven, NPM, Webpack, and bundler.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience using profiling tools to analyze and optimize application performance like Graphite, Graphana, Carbon, and AppDynamics.
- Familiar with full web technology stack (e.g., HTTP, cookies, headers, caching, CDN, and security).
- Familiarity with unit testing (JUnit, Jest) and TDD practices.
- Experience with Agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban.
- Willingness and ability to learn new approaches and emerging technology quickly.
- Exceptional communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback.
It is not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. Accomplished people in tech come from various backgrounds and can learn what they don’t know. We look for candidates that have a passion for continuous improvement and the ability to optimize code for clarity, reliability, and performance. Our commitment to onboarding, mentorship, and continuous learning means that you will have support as you learn new technologies.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $105,000 – 140,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.