ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Experience Level: Senior Level (5+ years of Java)
Content Management Team
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join ITHAKA, a highly-successful non-profit with a mission to expand access to knowledge and education around the world whose brands include Artstor, Ithaka S+R, JSTOR, and Portico. Under the direction of the Director of Content Management Systems, the Senior Software Engineer will work as part of the CM systems applications team in designing, developing, enhancing, and supporting software/applications to support content management operations for ITHAKA. You will join a highly-collaborative team that is passionate about technology and the challenges of large-scale content and data management, that is driven to develop lasting and affordable solutions to operations teams and users.
As a Senior Engineer, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on high performing, high throughput multi-threaded applications and will need very good problem-solving and debugging skills, and come up with strategies to solve them. You will be part of a self-organizing team where architecting, designing and implementation of system enhancements are collectively determined and implemented along with QA engineers:
- Architect, design and implement features/enhancements as needed by the business.
- Perform analysis and improve performance and throughput of the systems.
- Identify bottlenecks, problems, and come up with strategies to resolve them.
- Identify and implement solutions for automated monitoring of the systems.
- Make improvements in the applications so that it needs lesser manual intervention and facilitates automated monitoring and correcting problems.
- Perform system maintenance and application deployments on a regular basis.
- Identify bottlenecks and problems in the architecture and suggest strategies to improve.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent is preferred.
- Excellent, demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a small team environment.
- Good aptitude to provide support to business users of the system.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- Experience in designing and implementing backend applications using Java, Spring, Spring Boot, JPA, Hibernate, RDBMS, etc.
- Experience in service based architectures including web-services, service-discovery (Eureka).
- Experience in working with QA Engineers enhancing QA Automation frameworks using Cucumber/Selenium, etc.
- Experience in working with ELK stack, MongoDB, Kafka.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary ranges, so candidates know what to expect. The starting salary for this position ranges from $120,000 to $130,000 per year. Starting pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our total compensation package for benefits-eligible employees includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans, an employer-paid 10% retirement contribution, paid parental and caregiver leave, 22 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, 12 sick days, gym reimbursement, and more.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.