ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Ithaka S+R, a part of ITHAKA, helps academic and cultural communities serve the public good and navigate economic, technological, and demographic change. Our work aims to broaden access to quality postsecondary education, improve student outcomes, and advance research and knowledge.
ITHAKA seeks an energetic, detail-oriented, and versatile lawyer to advise and support its Ithaka S+R business line in complex transactions and initiatives. This is an ideal position for a lawyer with sophisticated knowledge of business planning, contracts, licensing, general corporate law and/or the law of tax-exempt organizations, familiarity with copyright and privacy law, and a curiosity about developments in the higher education, academic library, cultural, and scholarly publisher environment. In this role you will work with the General Counsel and other members of the Legal unit at ITHAKA as well as business leads in areas that improve access to education and learning.
The Senior Counsel will report directly to the VP, General Counsel and Secretary of ITHAKA. You will support the work of ITHAKA’s Ithaka S+R business line, and as needed, other services, products, and functional areas within ITHAKA .
Our organization and this role will provide you with an opportunity few other companies can offer including:
- An opportunity to help the academic and cultural communities serve the public good and navigate economic, technological, and demographic change;
- An opportunity to enhance global teaching and learning by facilitating access to important content;
- Enabling the global higher education community to take advantage of new technologies to enhance scholarship;
- A “front row seat” to evolving issues in higher education, the cultural environment, and the use of technology in education;
- A collegial, team-oriented work environment at an impactful, globally-oriented organization.
The Senior Counsel will work collaboratively with, and will have the support of, the ITHAKA Legal Team (at present, a six-member team consisting of three paralegals, an Associate Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel, and the General Counsel). You will have the option of a remote work, in-office, or hybrid work arrangement.
This is an opportunity for an experienced lawyer with the drive, passion and imagination to help colleagues deliver major research and advisory projects focusing on the higher education, library, museums, arts, and culture communities, and to build and enable access to uniquely inspiring products on one of the world’s leading research and learning platforms.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Draft, review, and negotiate grant, licensing, collaboration, and service agreements with parties in the U.S. and other countries, including agreements with foundations, universities, and museums;
- Advise and guide internal clients on compliance with general contract terms. Provide legal support and advice for resolution of day to day matters related to contractual agreements, including requests to interpret or modify contract provisions;
- Review and analyze issues related to the organization’s provision of services, and use of third party content. Ensure that necessary legal protections are contained in the organization's agreements, including regarding applicable regulatory requirements and that agreements appropriately address stakeholder needs;
- Take an active role in the maintenance, communication and enforcement of policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective contract and business processes, and to reduce the organization’s legal and business risks.
- Use Conga contract management system for management of workload and as a reporting tool in support of business and legal objectives and comfort with other technological planning and resource tools;
- Assist in efforts to develop risk management policies and programs in the areas of employment, copyright, piracy, and privacy, and coordinate with others inside the organization to implement and maintain those policies;
- Represent the organization in meetings and conferences;
- Ensure compliance with a wide range of applicable laws, regulations, and ITHAKA’s own high standards for quality and integrity.
- Perform research and provide advice on an array of other subjects, including employment, exempt organizations, governance, lobbying, privacy, and contract matters;
- Other matters, as requested by the General Counsel.
Challenges you’ll overcome:
The Senior Counsel will provide guidance across a range of areas and will need to be able to learn quickly about new and evolving areas of law that may not be within your current area of expertise. You will need to be able to jump in and work with business colleagues and team members to guide and assist them in meeting their goals as the needs of their constituents evolve.
Experience and Skills
- A JD from an accredited law school, and a minimum of five years of prior legal practice with a major law firm or in-house firm with an emphasis on contract drafting and business support are required for this position.
- The Senior Counsel must possess an extraordinary attention to detail; the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and to work quickly under deadlines; the ability to work independently without a lot of oversight; excellent writing, drafting, negotiating, and interpersonal skills; and an appreciation of a collegial work environment;
- A business-orientation with skills in creative and innovative solutions and capable of working with minimal supervision;
- Excellent negotiating skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent teamwork skills, including the ability to contribute to the work of broader teams as well as to work collaboratively on projects with Legal Team members;
- Depth of expertise, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and sound judgment with the ability and interest in thinking creatively and strategically;
- Familiarity with grant-supported projects a plus;
- Familiarity with privacy and data management a plus;
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences, both internally and externally and to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and functions of the organization as well as external organizations;
- Occasional travel may be required.
A cover letter is required with your application. Please submit this at the time of your application.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary ranges, so candidates know what to expect. The starting salary for this position ranges from $146,000 to $183,000 per year. Starting pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our total compensation package for benefits-eligible employees includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans, an employer-paid 10% retirement contribution, paid parental and caregiver leave, 22 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, 12 sick days, gym reimbursement, and more.
#LI-JS1 #LI-REMOTE #IND456
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.