ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
As the Director of Agile Program Management, you will drive the creation and execution of a value-based program methodology and delivery strategy that achieves the organization’s strategic goals. You will guide diverse cross-functional teams to execute complex and strategic programs while embracing predictable, repeatable, and sustainable lean ways of working. As the organization’s agile advocate, you will maximize the flow of value delivery across many products and services, supporting innovation and speed-to-market through optimal implementation of agile practices.
The successful candidate will be a skilled collaborator, model accountability within an agile and empowered team environment, be outcome-focused, and demonstrate the ability to adjust on the fly to changing realities. You will drive execution, prioritization, risk mitigation and evidence-based ROI assessment for transformative continuous improvement initiatives spanning all aspects of the organization. As a people manager, you will mentor and grow a team of skilled program managers, project managers, business analysts, and in the future agile coaches. You’ll interact with all levels of the organization to achieve ITHAKA’s objectives and key results. Your impact will enable ITHAKA to optimize the value we deliver for the communities we serve.
This role reports to the Senior Director, Operational Excellence.
- Using continuous performance management practices, inspire, manage, and elevate a team of program managers, project managers, business analysts, and in the future agile coaches.
- Define, deploy, and enhance lean program management standards, practices, and processes to support the organization’s mission, strategy, and goals.
- Develop delivery plans that are outcome oriented, measurable, actionable, lightweight, and reflect a deep understanding of the agile approach.
- With business and technology leaders, assess the organization’s agile maturity, identify improvement opportunities, and drive optimization efforts.
- Act as change agent and evangelist to influence the adoption of an operational excellence mindset and agile practices throughout the organization.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and leadership to establish consistent metrics, OKRs, and KPIs for measuring progress and effectiveness at team, product, and organizational levels.
- Establish metrics to optimize product delivery and measure business agility in terms of predictability, reliability, and adaptability.
- Prepare and communicate program level metrics and reporting.
- Facilitate strategic cross-portfolio planning, budgeting, and goal setting with senior leadership.
- Develop and maintain cross-program prioritization, estimation, and capacity planning models and own the alignment of program and project priorities with organizational needs and capabilities.
- Model a culture that embraces and reinforces ITHAKA’s core values.
- Model the operational excellence mindset by approaching work initiatives with curiosity and by challenging the status quo.
Experience and Skills
- 5–7 years of experience in program management and agile leadership roles.
- 3–4 years of experience leading and developing people.
- Experience leading large programs, including establishing effective governance structures, cross-functional coordination, and executive stakeholder management and reporting.
- Experience in Scrum and Kanban, and sound understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Proven record leading cross-functional teams and complex programs in an agile matrixed organization while building and maintaining relationships at multiple levels of an organization.
- Ability to translate organizational goals into projects to achieve evidence-based impact while managing multiple changing priorities.
- Results oriented mindset, with demonstrated ability to achieve aspirational goals and challenge the status quo.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated with a high level of professional maturity—confidence and humility.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary ranges, so candidates know what to expect. The starting salary for this position ranges from $140,000 to $155,000 per year. Starting pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our total compensation package for benefits-eligible employees includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans, an employer-paid 10% retirement contribution, paid parental and caregiver leave, 22 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, 12 sick days, gym reimbursement, and more.
#IND123 #LI-JS1 #LI-REMOTE
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.