ITHAKA’s mission is to expand access to knowledge and education around the world. Our services — Artstor, JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R — enable people everywhere to learn, to grow, and to overcome historical barriers to education. In carrying out our mission, as employees we feel a deep responsibility to each other and our well-being, and are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Remote, New York, Ann Arbor, or Princeton
ITHAKA is seeking a dynamic, experienced, and passionate Agile Coach to help JSTOR build products and solutions that further our mission to improve access to knowledge and education for people around the world.
Your responsibility is to help coach teams on their adoption and optimization of lean, agile values and practices to support innovation, quality, and speed to market. You inspire teams and the organization to continuously improve and find new ways to deliver value quickly.
The ideal candidate is a team player who leads by example and does not shy away from any task that can help the team. You are a problem solver who helps the team to identify and resolve conflicting priorities and risks early and, where needed, escalate issues quickly. You can be counted on to execute and deliver on what has been promised. You inspire and motivate teams and effectively handle stressful situations, and you resolve conflicts by encouraging constructive and respectful debate.
- Drive continuous improvement opportunities, operational excellence, and high-speed delivery of value through agile values and techniques.
- Support ITHAKA’s goals by coordinating iterative delivery and cross-team dependencies, leading high-value agile ceremonies, removing obstacles, and serving as Scrum Master for individual teams.
- Accelerate the delivery of business value by facilitating productive collaboration between teams, Product Managers, and Product Owners.
- Work with teams, Product Managers, and Product Owners to prioritize the appropriate technical investment to maintain a healthy codebase.
- Effectively coach teams on creative problem-solving.
- Coach and support teams as they improve and pursue their Objectives, Key Results, and KPIs.
- Enhance predictability of solution delivery by proactively communicating issues, progress, and needs within and across teams.
- Provide leadership to teams, helping them work together to build trust, promote transparency, and collaboratively solve problems to optimize outcomes delivered.
- Establish and implement metrics to optimize product delivery and measure business agility in terms of predictability, reliability, and adaptability.
- Contribute to a culture of team support, mentoring, and continuous improvement by modeling excellence in giving, receiving, and implementing feedback.
- Identify, measure, and use data to drive continuous improvement, high performance, and overall team health.
- Facilitate daily follow-ups with individual team members to ensure value delivery is on track and goals are being met.
- Drive cultural change and build agile maturity by promoting an agile mindset throughout the organization.
- Foster a culture that embraces and reinforces ITHAKA’s core values.
- Model the operational excellence mindset by approaching work initiatives with curiosity and by challenging the status quo.
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years of agile coaching or scrum master experience involving multiple teams, and a demonstrated understanding of the agile coach role, agile methods, and different agile roles.
- Experience in Scrum and Kanban, and solid understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Outstanding communicator with exceptional facilitation, coaching, and mentoring skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply agile methods in effective ways to empower and support high-performing teams, deliver successful products to the market, and navigate conflict effectively.
- Ability to work effectively and to partner and collaborate productively with colleagues at all levels of the organization, both inside and outside the technical domain.
- Highly adept at using metrics and data to drive continuous improvement.
- Proficiency with technology tools such as Jira, Mural, Slack, and Trello.
- Committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) certification preferred; Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) a strong plus.
Compensation & Benefits
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary ranges, so candidates know what to expect. The starting salary for this position ranges from $82,000 to $100,000 per year. Starting pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our total compensation package for benefits-eligible employees includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans, an employer-paid 10% retirement contribution, paid parental and caregiver leave, 22 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, 12 sick days, gym reimbursement, and more.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Candidates may apply by submitting an application online through our career site, if you have any questions about your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ITHAKA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if there’s anything we can do to accommodate any portion of the application or hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.