Our organization and this role are unique and will provide you with an opportunity few other places can offer including:
- Working on a tight-knit team rapidly developing innovative tools and services for the academic community.
- Access to the JSTOR corpus of rich content and “big data” in the development of tools and applications.
- Ability to leverage and improve the bleeding-edge technology stack used by the JSTOR platform.
- Ability to have a large impact, due to the high traffic and visibility JSTOR has, combined with playing a pivotal role in bringing the JSTOR Labs’ team’s innovation to that platform.
The Software Engineer will be part of a small (5 member) distributed team. The team is highly collaborative but also works closely with the larger ITHAKA/JSTOR organization, and with external teams and organizations. As a member of the Labs team and ITHAKA organization the Software Engineer will have access to a diverse, knowledgeable and helpful group of colleagues.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
It is expected that the applications developed will take advantage of APIs and infrastructure provided by the core JSTOR platform. During an incubation period Labs applications will be maintained and administered by the Software Engineer and the rest of the Labs team. This work may include the development and maintenance of back-end services (including API development), data analysis (such as LDA topic modeling), content enrichment, and search index generation.
As a member of the Labs team, the Software Engineer will be involved all phases of product discovery and delivery. During discovery the Software Engineer will have an active role in the identification and validation of ideas. In this capacity, occasional (4-6 times per year) travel may be required, most often to our New York City office. For those ideas proven to have merit, the Software Engineer, under the direction of the Labs tech lead, will productize the components needed to bring the product or service to millions of JSTOR users.
Challenges You’ll Overcome
This role requires the ability to work on a team that is continually pushing into unfamiliar territory and interested in rapid learning. The goal is to quickly understand a problem space and identify and validate possible solutions as rapidly as possible. It requires confidence in one’s own ability, the team, and the process. The position requires a high degree of flexibility, self-motivation, and teamwork. The Software Engineer will need to be able to translate the Labs prototypes into highly scalable services and apps that operate with the continuous integration, micro-services architecture of the JSTOR platform.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
This role is best performed by a person with a high level of natural curiosity, that is eager to learn, and with an inclination to action. The role will often involve moving forward on concepts that are only loosely defined. An individual that is self-motivated and able to work with relatively high-level direction will do best in this role.
Below is a list of skills and technology experience that would be desirable, but the more important characteristic is an eagerness and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new skills.
Programming languages and operating systems
Web app development
- Django REST Framework (for API development)
- SOLR/Lucene or ElasticSearch
- Functional/reactive programming concepts using NGRX or Redux
Mobile app development
- NativeScript (with Angular2)
- Topic modeling (ideally using Mallet)
- Hadoop Map/Reduce (ideally using AWS EMR)
- Content markup including: XML, ePUB, PDF
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
Learn more about working at ITHAKA.
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.